The 10th annual Mayor's Backpack Giveaway was a little different this year, as the COVID-19 pandemic required masks and social distancing. Still, the five-day park-and-go event had parents and kids well-supplied at the newly constructed Joyce M. Cusack Resource Center at 489 Mathis Ave., where city volunteers and resource center workers assisted in distribution of free school backpacks loaded with supplies.
View our latest special section
In this publication, we mistakenly stated when voters will vote on the Seat 2 race for the Volusia Soil and Water Conservation District Board. The race will be in the general election held on Tuesday, Nov. 3, not in the primary election of Tuesday, Aug. 18.
- Volusia County Sheriff's Office: 8 arrested during Operation 'Extreme Makeover: Fraud Edition'
- The Fantasticks at Athens Theatre: musical reminds us of when life was so tender
- School News: Procedures for attending high-school football games set
- Spiritual Side: New Light Church in DeLand is now open for Sunday services
- COVID-19 cancels Volusia Co. Fair; Youth livestock show to go on